Ethics of Visiting Tourist Destination in Bali Island25 August 2017
If you travel to Bali , you undoubtedly want to watch a variety of tourist attractions such as the beauty of nature, cultural activities and Hindu rituals. In this regard, there are certainly some norms that should be honored when visiting a destination.
When you make a visit to a tourist destination like a sacred place (temple), you should comply with the following norms:
- Make sure you use a scarf or cloth as a minimum requirement to enter a temple.
- Make sure you are not in menstrual period as the Hindus considered it a spiritually temporary impurity or cuntaka.
- Do not pass by/through and make noise before the Hindus saying prayers.
- Do not hold or touch the ritual paraphernalia when religious rituals are taking place.
- If you want to take pictures/photographs should apply for permission in advance because there are some objects in the temple whose picture may not be immortalized.
- Since the temple is a sacred place for the Hindus, so tourists being in the temple area may not say rude things, or perform indecent acts.
- We recommend to come along with your tour guide or to ask for help to local guide of the temple you visit as some temples in Bali have prepared local guides knowing exactly about the rules that must be obeyed.
- In some temples, there is usually a donation (dana punia) box. If you would like to make donation, please do it sincerely.
If tourist destination you visit poses a landscape such as: Sangeh and Alas Kedaton Monkey Forest, then the points to consider are as follows:
- Make sure that when you visit the object is guided by the local guide available at the object because they know very well about the character and behavior of the monkeys there. If you want to provide food (nuts, bananas and the like), it can be purchased around the object.
- All belongings you carry, such as eyeglasses, cameras, wallets and the like, should be stored in a safe place because there are times when goods are taken by monkeys as compensation to get food.
- If at that time you do not bring foods such as mentioned in point 2 above, make your hand open all the times. It's important to show that you do not bring food or hide no food.
- If you want to take photos with monkeys, you have to feed them first.
- You should always ask for the supervision of the local guide.
- Each time you enter the tourist destination, you will be charged an admission fee that will vary from one tourist destination to another.